Fall has Fallen

posted on: Monday, October 12, 2009


And I have been remiss in tending my blog. I wish I could say it's been a busy, busy 6 weeks. It has not. I'll give you a recap of what's been going on in my neck of the woods--or city, as the case may be.

I finished Psychiatry and moved on to Surgery. Typically, among medical students, even those medical students who want to BE surgeons, the Surgery Clerkship is a dreaded and formidable undertaking. The hours are usually very long (5am-7pm, most days), the attending physicians rude and demanding, and the surgeries themselves require physical stamina like none other (try standing very very still for 3 hours holding a laparoscope very very still and trying to steer the camera so that the surgeon won't tell you he's "getting nauseous". yes, that happened.).

Continuing with my theme of coasting right on through medical school, I managed to land a Pediatric Surgery subspecialty rotation at Cook County Hospital. My hours are typically 5:30-11:00, noon at the latest. I even had a day last week where I left at 8:15am. I don't have to be in many surgeries (3 thus far, in the past 2 weeks), and I get to play with the babies in the NICU to kill time.

Now, allow me to shed a little light on why this is such an easy rotation. The answer is simple, really. We have no patients. But the reason WHY we have no patients is this: in Illinois, every child is born with Medicare (medicaid? i can't remember...), and therefore they can go to any hospital in the city to receive care for free. Considering that there is a Children's Hospital in Chicago, along with several big University hospitals, very few people actually CHOOSE to take their kids to the government institution that is Cook County Hospital. So...we have no patients.

So that's what I've been doing, work-wise. Playing with the babies will be another blog for another day. And as you can see, I clearly have no excuse for abandoning my vast cohort of readers.

1 comments:

your words are like music to my soul...and if you leave a comment, check back here for a response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the doctors fleming All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger