thank. God. it's something light and fluffy.
after yesterday's heaviness, we need a little fluffiness up in this blog.
i'll try to think of new things that i haven't already blogged about.
surely i am interesting enough to think up 30 totally NEW things.
1. i tend to O.D. on fruit. i ate so many bananas in the first 5 years of my life, that i couldn't stand bananas until about 6 months ago. now i like 'em again. i also used to have a big thing for granny smith apples. now me and granny smith are on the outs.
2. i dye my own hair. but i don't use a box. my bff Johanna is a master colorist (that may or may not be her actual title. but it's what i choose to call her.) and she showed me how to put together my colors and my developer to get what i want. this doesn't stop my hair stylist here in Chicago from openly judging me for dyeing it myself. it's ok. i still love him.
3. i have saved every card or note i have received since high school. the ones from Nick are in a special place.
4. i was cross-eyed as a baby. Nick thinks this is hilarious.
5. my favorite book is called "The River Why". it's about fly fishing. and philosophy. two things i know relatively little about. yet i love it. it resonates with me.
6. i am awesome at making playlists.
exhibit A: a little conglomeration i made for my guests at my wedding reception in Cali. it's songs about Cali, mixed with some of my and Nick's faves.
7. i don't think i have ever broken a bone. i hit my toe pretty hard once, and now it's sort of crooked. so i might've broken that. but still. no radiographical evidence.
8. when i was 9, my brother "accidentally" hit me in the middle of my forehead with a hatchet. the blunt end. thank.god. now i have a scar in the shape of the state of Florida in the middle of my forehead.
|it's the teensy crease. by my vividly painted nail.|
maybe i can't talk.
none of you would know.
just kidding. i can talk.
10. peonies are my favorite flower.
|at a streetside flower stand in Lucca, Italy|
waiting to be plucked up for my wedding bouquet
|me and Meg, perusing the merchandise|
plastic buckets of beauty
that's how i roll
|trying to haggle in my broken Italiano|
wrapping up my purchase
[above four photos courtesy of Jessica Lorren Photography]
11. gin and tonics are my go-to cocktail. Beefeater is my favorite. mostly because i like walking up to bars and saying "beefeater and tonic, please". try it. it's fun. (i also like champagne cocktails. of any kind.)
12. if i am totally honest with myself, i really DO want to have a baby. like, now. what's holding me back is the whole parenting thing. having a baby is way different than becoming a parent. totally not ready for that yet. the biological clock vs. the rationale. the debate continues.
13. i like to wake up slow in the morning. i don't require a snooze. but i do slowly transition from the bed...to the couch...to the kitchen (to make the coffee of course)...to the bathroom (to pee. and brush my teeth.). nick likes to wake up fast. like a shotgun going off. most days, i am indifferent to this. other days, it really annoys me. don't worry. he knows.
14. as if i haven't gone to school for long enough, i have always dreamed of going back to school later...like, after i retire. i want to study philosophy. it fascinates me.
15. my biggest regret in life is not studying abroad in London my junior year of college. at Cambridge. most of my friends went then...it would've been the most amazing experience. probably would've changed my life. i didn't go because of money. since then, i've tried never to let a little money keep me from experiencing amazing things.
16. the best massage i've ever gotten was at Bliss Chicago. they live up to the name. however, Nick does give me massages--shoulders, hands, feet, etc--on a pretty regular basis. and his are a clooooose second.
17. my cat's full name is Bartonella henselae. i named her after the bacteria that causes Cat Scratch Fever. i still think this is hilarious.
18. i don't really like cake.
19. i haven't had a period since May.2010. birth control is a beautiful and amazing thing. ask me how.
20. i am a total clean freak. my house is immaculate 95% of the time. i blame the type A personality. feel free to begin loathing me at any time. my husband feels your pain.
21. i have a pair of Frye Harness boots that i got for free in a trade. they're old and beat-up, and possibly men's boots. but they're my favorite. they look kinda like this.
22. i am obsessed with Pure Beech Sateen sheets. it was sophomore year of college when i first purchased them, i will never go back.
23. i am in a music club with my besties from college. we started it in July, at my wedding reception. every month, one of us is charged with the task of sending each of the others a cd of new music. could be a mix, could be a full album. doesn't matter. just has to be new. AND you have to give reasons for your picks. it has been the best idea we've ever had. keeps us in touch. and since we are located in LA, Chicago, Durham NC, and Baton Rouge...we get a pretty good mix of music that's emerging all over the country. seriously. best.idea.ever.
|sisterhood of the traveling....music|
24. if i could pick an actress to play me in a movie, i'd have to go with Lauren Graham.
25. my first date was freshman year of college. (see? shelt.ered.) i really liked him. the date went great. then he didn't speak to me again till sophomore year. i found out senior year that he was scared of me. awesome.
26. the body part that i am most comfortable with is definitely my legs. love affairs with the other parts come and go. but i can always count on my legs to make me feel like i look good.
27. i am a long.hair.girl. when it's super long, sometimes i get the short-hair-itch and chop it off. and inevitably, i am loooonging for the long hair again within a matter of weeks. i'm currently in a grow-it-back-out stage and find myself swearing that i will never chop it off again. talk to me again in 3-4 years. we'll see if my resolve stands.
28. i still have not managed to find my signature scent. any suggestions?
29. one of my absolute favorite things to do is get home from work...put on a little Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto...open a bottle of red...and starting cooking. drinking wine+cooking+listening to music=heaven.
30. i am generally pretty lucky. for example: yesterday i decided (after the 3rd wear. ever.) that the Jimmy Choo's i splurged on for my wedding were just too small. (maybe my feet grew in the past year? weird.) so today i decided to go to Nordstrom's and try my luck with the ol' exchange. the peeps at the shoe counter were prettty skeptical, and didn't think they had any left. and they were definitely sporting 'tudes about me trying to return shoes i had worn. almost a year later. (my bad.)
but then. miracle of miracles. there was one pair left.
in my size.
so i got a brand new pair of Jimmy Choo's that fit even better than my old ones, AND 250 bucks back.
the originals. courtesy of JLP
i hope you have enjoyed this loooong tour into my psyche and person. if you made it this far, you deserve a reward.