some recipes

posted on: Wednesday, January 18, 2012

a couple of you asked for the cake recipe.
lemon raspberry cake
i'm an obliging girl.
here ya go:

*1 cup shortening (I used Crisco.)
*2 cups sugar
*4 eggs
*3 cups sifted cake flour (I just used all-purpose flour. And couldn't tell a difference.)
*2 1/2 tsps baking powder
*1/2 tsp salt
*1 cup milk
*1 tsp almond extract
*1 tsp vanilla extract
*10 tbsp seedless raspberry preserves (give or take)

Preheat oven to 375.

Beat the shortening well. Gradually add sugar to shortening while beating well. Add eggs one at a time, while continue to beat well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Begin and end with flour. Finally, add the almond and vanilla extracts.

Bake in 3 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch round cake pans at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes until golden. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Split each cake in half horizontally (creating 6 total layers). Spread each layer with approximately 2 Tbsp of the raspberry preserves.

Note: I used non-seedless raspberry preserves because I had it handy. It really doesn't make that huge of a difference. You'll just find yourself picking a few seeds out of your teeth. If you're making this cake for a new crush, maybe stick to the seedless. 

Lemon Buttercream Icing:
1 1/4 cup softened butter
2 tsp grated lemon rind
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 cups sifted powdered sugar

Let the butter sit out until it's soft (if you try to cheat and microwave it, it'll require a lot more powdered sugar to get the icing the right consistency), then add lemon rind and lemon juice and combine. Add sifted powdered sugar little by little and beat until smooth.

**Couple more notes. I've only made homemade icing a couple other times in my life, and it's been years. I couldn't remember exactly which consistency the icing was supposed to be to make it actually STAY on the side of the cake. (if it's too runny, it'll just slide down the side of the cake.) PLUS, I used a lemon that my little brother sent me from his lemon tree...so no pesticides. I don't know if the lemon had anything to do with it, but I had to use way more than 3 cups of powdered sugar to get the icing the right consistency. And still I jumped the gun and ended up with icing running down the sides of my cake. So my point is, give the icing a little tender loving care. And good luck. Mine was a big fat failure, so I got nothing. 

none of you asked for this next recipe.
how could you?
you didn't even know it existed.
you're welcome. 

grilled citrus tuna steak

from another angle. (:
*two 4-6 oz. tuna steaks
*pinch of salt and pepper
*3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
*2 Tbs. soy sauce
*1 tsp. freshly minced ginger
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*1/2 cup chopped cilantro
*juice of 1 lime, plus the zest
*1 tsp. sugar
*1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
*4 cups spinach

Season both sides of the tuna steaks with salt and pepper. 

In a small bowl, whisk together 2 Tbs. EVOO, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, zest, and sugar. Add the fish and marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge.

In a small skillet, heat the last Tbs of oil. Add the spinach and wilt slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Remove form heat and set aside.

Remove the steaks from the marinade and sear for 2 minutes on each side. Keep it rare in the center.

Pour the remaining marinade into a small saucepan and reduce until it becomes thick, 2 minutes.

Top the wilted spinach with the grilled fish, followed by the sliced avocado and drizzle the reduction on top.

thank you foodgawker.

enjoy!
email me if you have any questions.

7 comments:

  1. cake AND tuna steak? girl, you are spoiling me on this lovely Wednesday morning. I will make both. And hopefully remember to report back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tuna needs to be made asap. Thanks so much for sharing this deliciousness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness, maybe I should invite myself over to dinner one of these days ;)

    Thanks for the tuna steak recipe em... can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hell yes. Thank you thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just emailed the cake recipe to my sister and told her that when she comes here (whenever i go into labor) she has only to make me this cake. i could survive on it for days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a great cake recipe. coming back for seconds. thanks again (:

    ReplyDelete

your words are like music to my soul...and if you leave a comment, check back here for a response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the doctors fleming All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger