don't let the sun go down on me

posted on: Wednesday, April 18, 2012

[via]
i woke up feeling a little off this morning
Nick and I had a "discussion" right before bed last night
and we didn't fix it before we went to sleep.

one of the pieces of advice i got over and over
before we got married, was..
to never let the sun go down on your anger

sounds nice in theory
but sometimes being tired can make an argument seem bigger than it really is, amiright?
and for us, sometimes the thought of hashing it out
into the wee hours of the morning
means that we pay dire consequences at the hospital the next day
this isn't an excuse, but it is a reality of our jobs

so we let this one go

and when Nick left for work this morning,
(i was still sleeping, because i'm off today thankGOD)
i forgot to tell him i love you

for some reason,
all this got me thinking about the night before our wedding
we weren't fighting then
it was actually one of the happiest nights of my life

we had a big family dinner
at a little restaurant in Gattaiola
(a village near Lucca, Italy)





side note: i have huge regrets about my unfortunate hair situation that night
wth was going on there? 


precious baby bro. who is now 16. i want to freeze him like that forever.

my sisters: mini-me (L) and lil' diva (R).










my mom loves us.

the godfather, Nick's dad, and Todd (Nick's bestie). barrel o' laughs those three.

i know this doesn't have anything to do with the aforementioned fight
but for some reason this morning i was reminded of it and thought i'd share.

how about you?
are you a big believer in not going to bed angry?

i'm starting to think there's something to be said
for spending a few long hours out-of-sorts
...letting things cool off...
giving the fight a chance to get smaller

i know Nick and I will be fine tonight when he gets home
i have faith that we're in this forever
and the reunion will be so sweet


p.s. one of my favorite songs. ever.
it's fitting, no?

Have A Little Faith In Me by John Hiatt on Grooveshark

12 comments:

  1. i hate going to bed angry or when my boyfriend goes to bed angry. and i don't know why but it makes me feel worse, you know? but i agree, i wouldnt want to hash it out at 3am either. or at 11pm for that matter (i have an early bed time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly agree with the sentiment don't go to bed angry, but there have definitely been times when me and the bf have been arguing at like 4am & I'm like, yanoo what, this is redonk...let's go to sleep and talk about it tomorrow, and the next day it just always seems so silly....somimdef think it just depends on the situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of never going to bed angry...but sometimes, when the fight is about something unimportant anyways, it just seems easier. However I have noticed that if I go to bed in a bad mood, I don't necessarily wake up in a better one, which is unfortunate! Sleep should solve all problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think my fiance and I get into fights later at night BECAUSE we (mostly me) are tired and cranky and just don't want to deal with it. Sometimes we fix it before falling asleep and other times we just need some rest to get over it all. I know you guys will be just fine - your schedules are INSANE right now so I can't imagine how much you're both going through. Give it some time - it will pass :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be nice to be able to solve all quarrels before we hit the hay because I have found that even if its just a minor spat I sleep TERRIBLE. I know me personally though I get further and further away from rational the later it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a firm believer of that theorie as well, but not sure if I lived by it all my life... :)
    At least one should always try.

    I do like your hairdo by the way! :)
    xx Nora

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be a believer of not going to bed early... but then I met Sean and with that the long distance relationship. When most of your conversations take place over the phone, and late at night, many times you'll find yourselves having a serious "discussion" and no solution to it. One of the first times that happened we made it well into 4am (on a school night for me) and we felt as if we were going in circles. Never did it again. We sleep on it and face it with an open mind and a level head the next day. It works out so much better that way. I feel we make a whole lot more sense now :). You and Nick are such a beautiful couple and I'm so sure God has such wonderful plans for you together. Give him one big kiss when he gets home darling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. For us, it definitely depends on the fight. I have the tendency to overreact sometimes (my bad) so usually by morning, he is apologizing for what I blew out of proportion the night before and I am apologizing for blowing it out of proporition. Win Win.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely think it depends on the argument and what else is going on at the time. Sometimes an argument is a result of pure exhaustion, and yes, at the end of a long day everything seems, BIGGER, HEAVIER. And we also don't have as productive of a "discussion" if we're both feeling so beat. So I say sleep on it and let things get put into perspective. Usually when we wake up we're totally fine and everything works itself out and we realize whatever we thought was a big deal at the time really wasn't at all.. Hope you're feeling better soon :) That dinner looks beautiful BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to be a firm believer in not going to be angry - But as we get older (and dare I say, more mature/wiser...) I really feel that taking time at night to rest makes you feel better in the morning & you usually gain a new prespective on the situation (I know I do anyways...). :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Next month will be 5 years since we got married (in Tuscany too!!!!) and you know what, sometimes going to bed angry is inevitable. Sometimes you need the time, space, rest and reflection to be able to re-connect and resolve the issue.

    sending you hugs from NY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this is a bit old - but I think sometimes THE best cure for an argument is to walk away, sleep on it and resolve it the next day. Not going to sleep angry is a romantic idea, but not always practical

    ReplyDelete

your words are like music to my soul...and if you leave a comment, check back here for a response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the doctors fleming All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger