naps and nail painting

posted on: Friday, November 30, 2012

today is the first day i've had opportunity to blog in a long long while
and true to form, i don't really feeeeeel like blogging.


i start a string of night shifts in the Trauma ICU tonight.
six in a row.
just me, an OB/GYN intern, and 12 of the sickest patients in the hospital.
fun times. just trying to keep everyone alive until morning.


to prepare, i'm painting my nails
(it was time)
going to the gym
(again, it was time. it's been awhile.)
napping
(good sweet Lord, yes.)
and avoiding phone calls from a sergeant
claiming there's a "detail" i've been "tasked with"
(translation: it's time for my urine drug test.)
if they think i'm going to skip my nap to go pee in a cup, they're smoking crack
which would, of course, make their piss test positive.


in other news,
i've started seeing a counselor about my emotional overload issues.
i'm not sure i like her, actually.
but she did recommend some things that just might help.
so we'll see.
she described me as a tire that keeps getting air pumped into it, but hasn't stopped to let out any air, and is going to pop. or has popped?
either way, sounded pretty accurate to me.
so i'm trying to decompress a bit.
not go postal.
that sort of thing.


and i found out my Christmas/New Year's schedule isn't *quite* as terrible as i'd thought.
working Christmas Eve till midnight
but off Christmas Day.
off New Year's Eve, but working New Year's Day
BUT not until 11pm.
working the night shift before my birthday
so i'll turn 29 in the ER
and be sleeping most of my day of birth
but up in time to maybe go to dinner or something equally celebratory.
so there's hope.


plus, in two short weeks, i'm headed to California
for this lovely lady's #BS2
blates will abound, my friends.
it's going to be epic.


for now, i'll leave you with another shot from our Xmas card shoot
because these are the only photos taken around here these days


gosh i'm gonna miss this guy for the next 6 nights.
happy weekend!
and may the trauma gods go easy on me...

14 comments:

  1. 6 nights in a row? That sounds like an excellent for of torture. But I am confident that nail painting will definitely help. :) It definitely won't hurt.

    I'm glad you're seeing a counselor. I've seen one for the last year and a half almost, ever since the whole "you might have cancer" thing came up. And it has helped A TON. I definitely don't like her all the time (last week I actually yelled at her), but we don't have to be friends. I don't pay her to be my friend. And she described not dealing with your feelings like never cleaning out the refrigerator... after a while if you don't clean it out, the fridge just stinks.

    And I am VERY glad your holiday schedule isn't as bad as it originally seemed. Still not ideal, but you've gotta take what you can get I guess.

    I'm totally jealous you are getting to go hang out with Megan. I'm off to pout now. Not before I say that the Christmas card pictures are SO GOOD! I love them.

    Have a good nap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh my I truly love your picture. You're using that one for the card, right? It is peaceful and perfect.

    And, how awesome that you get to have a little bit of holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man i can not imagine what's it's like to work in the trauma unit... getting shivers thinking about it... my anxiety issues would be through the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hot dawg, do i love your xmas card shoot! seriously. and good luck with your next few days- like you said, keeping people alive.. no big deal or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it helps :) I can't wait to see all the fun ya'll will have in Cali, and that X-mas Photo is awesome!! Hope the next 6 nights go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a huge fan of therapists. I started the journey to find one last winter. After going to three of them, I finally found one that I liked in May. Sadly I just am not sure she's a good fit for me anymore, though. And I am too much of a pansy to tell her I think it's time for us to start seeing other people. It's totally her. Not me. Just kidding. It's totally me. ;) Good for you for getting a handle on your mental health. It's truly one of the the most important things ever. And blogging about it too? I admire bloggers who can be real like that. The my-life-is-perfect-bend-over-so-I-can-blow-sunshine-up-your-butt bloggers are so complety overrated. Happy soon to be birthday. I turn 30 on June 30th. 29 isn't so bad. But I'm ready for the newness of my 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we changed the hashtag to #megsbs2 because have you SEEN some of the photos with #bs2??? lots of drunk people and weed smokers..with some pictures of svea thrown in there. its a hot mess.

    I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU AND HOLD YOU IN MY ARMS. Then basically youll be able to tackle the world. i have that affect on people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pics are too cute! Good luck in ICU this week. Yuck.
    I am so jealous of you ladies all hanging out with Meg! I'm sure it's going to be a huge blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, sounds like thinks are at least leveled for you, so not getting worse even if they aren't getting better yet- so that's goodnotgreat, mostly.
    I feel like I'm treading water. Not in a depression sort of way, just in a limbo/I know what I want the next step to be I just can't get there yet sort of way. And it's made me the opposite of productive, which is only making things worse. Normally I work well when I'm under pressure, but with the big thing I've got planned every time I think I've got a step forward I get pushed all the way down the stairs.
    Anyway, I came here to give you some encouragement, but apparently all I've got is a big fat "me, too".

    So "me, too."
    You do look freakin' fantastic in those pics, though. So as far as that goes, I'm totally jealous ;) Of the dress as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. if you didn't really like your counselor, it may just be that she/he is not the right one for you! It honestly takes a whole bunch of therapist shopping to find the perfect fit. Sometimes personalities don't quite click and that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You two are seriously beautiful! I'm glad your holidays are looking up love. But they would be extra awesome if it included a blate with MEEEE hehe.

    kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your work schedule...gosh. I would have to get used to working nights! But I'm glad that it's not going to be as bad for you as you thought.
    And that's good that you're seeing a counselor, if you need to, and working out things you need in your life. But if you don't like the counselor you have, maybe you could find someone you're comfortable with. Or if not, just keep talking through your blog. We can ALL be your counselors! :) But seriously, I hope it'll be helpful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i STILL NEED THAT DRESS. and you guys are super hot. and damn! that schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your photo! I don't know how you handle having separate schedules and going 6 nights without your man.

    ReplyDelete

your words are like music to my soul...and if you leave a comment, check back here for a response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the doctors fleming All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger