Venice

posted on: Friday, January 25, 2013








 can't help but look a little Asian, can i?

i was only mildly excited by this pigeon selecting me as a landing post.
mildly.




as we were riding the train from Innsbruck to Venice, i think i could tell you the exact moment the train crossed over from Austria to Italy. the houses began to look less Bavarian and more Italian. the snow-capped mountains gave way to hillsides dotted with vineyards. the signs began to be more readable, with their Italian script. the announcer on the train gave instructions in first Italian, then German, then English. (:


it felt so familiar, that Italian countryside. even though i had never been in that part of the country before, something about it resonated with me. 


this was the first time Nick and i had returned to Italy since getting married there almost three years ago. for our wedding and honeymoon, we were only there for two weeks. yet now, going back felt like a returning of sorts. almost like going home. this was the homeland of my husband's grandfather and all his ancestors. i felt connected to it somehow. it's almost that, by getting married there, and having such a defining moment in my life take place on Italian soil, i've left a piece of my heart there forever. and i feel whole and complete again by going back. 


it was so special.

11 comments:

  1. My Dad's entire family lives in Italy (I was born there but moved to the US when I was 7) and anytime we go back there a huge rush of feelings come back to me - one of which is like what you described: the feeling of being home and back to a very special place.
    Seeing your picture of Venice definitely makes me miss it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip! Love your coat gloves and bag! So stylish

    ReplyDelete
  3. We honeymooned in Italy and it will forever be in my heart! Gorgeous pictures! Looks like you two had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that last paragraph, Em! Luke & I have a special destination where we got engaged & I can only imagine that returing there will feel so special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm just happy that pigeon didn't poop on you :) have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful pictures - there is something magical about Europe x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only midly jealous :) Glad that you had such a great time and that it felt like coming home

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh you and your fancy beret-like hat looking all cute in venice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that picture with you and the pigeon is THE best

    ReplyDelete
  10. y'all look like fun people to vacation with. invite us next time. seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved everything about venice...your pictures took me back.

    ReplyDelete

your words are like music to my soul...and if you leave a comment, check back here for a response.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the doctors fleming All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger